SLS 3D Printing
Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) is a powder based technique wherein each layer is accurately fused together by a laser.
It is a highly precise 3D printing process that cost-effectively produces industrial strength parts, complicated geometry, detailed visual and robust functional prototypes.
Low Volume Production
How SLS Production Works
Selective Laser Sintering (SLS) builds a part layer-by-layer via a laser fusing nylon-based powder together.
- 3D CAD file is reviewed by the AME-3D production team
- CAD file is set-up in the SLS system
- A laser binds the powder particles together based on the file specifications layer by layer until the build is complete.
- The loose powder is removed, and the part is processed according to the chosen finish
SLS 3D Printing Application and Uses
- Functional and durable prototypes for mechanical testing
- Complex geometries and precision parts
- Cost-efficient production of unique and personalised products
- Lightweight designs with lattice structures
- On demand part manufacturing that rivals injection moulded parts
- Suitable for low volume production
- Increased recyclability compared to alternative 3D printing technique
SLS 3D Printing Details
The SLS printing dimensions are a reference guide. Our team are experienced in splitting designs and seamlessly joining parts together, should you require a build that exceeds the maximum dimensions provided.
|SLS Dimensions||330 x 280 x 400mm|
|SLS Resolution||Layer thickness 0.1mm|
|Feature size||Min. 0.8mm|
|Wall thickness||0.7mm - 2.0mm (varies with material choice)|
|Tolerances||± 0.3mm or ±0.05 mm / mm|
Minimum depth of 1mm
-- Text must have a min. font size of 2mm
|Embossed details||Minimum height of 1mm|
|Hole size||Greater than 1.5mm diameter|
|Escape holes||Minimum 3.5mm diameter|
- Typically 1-5 days
Please note, our SLS printing machines run throughout the weekend and we offer delivery all over the UK.
If the material you need isn’t listed, we order material in for customers.
AME Nylon PA 650
A white, thermoplastic nylon that can be painted or pigmented in a wide variety of colours.
|Tensile Strength||48 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||1,700 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||48 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||1,500 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||95 - 180°C|
AME Nylon GF 615 GS
A 50% glass-filled nylon available in a light sand tone.
|Tensile Strength||38 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||5,910 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||37 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||3,300 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||134 - 179°C|
The correct finish improves the overall performance of your SLS printed part or product.
- Off machine with loose powder removed
- Bead blast
- Colour spray painting
- Clear lacquer
SLS is the most versatile 3D printing technique that bridges the gap of low volume production and precision part manufacturing. Its main benefits include:
- End-use functionality and materials
- Durable products suitable for mechanical testing
- Chemical resistance
- Able to tackle complex designs due to no
support structures being required
- Can be painted or pigmented in any colour