SLA 3D Printing
In Stereolithography (SLA) a laser precisely cures each layer of a design into UV-sensitive resin.
It is one of the most tried, tested and efficient industrial 3D printing techniques and serves as the foundation of rapid prototyping.
How Stereolithography Works
Stereolithography builds a part layer-by-layer using UV sensitive resin and a high-power laser.
- 3D CAD file is reviewed by the AME-3D production team
- CAD file is set-up in the SLA system with required supports
- UV laser beam selectively hardens the resin based on the file specifications
- The machine builds the 3D part one layer at a time
- After the build is complete, the part is processed according to the chosen finish
SLA Applications and Uses
- Master parts for rapid prototyping
- Visual prototypes for investment pitches and stakeholder buy-ins
- Functional prototypes for concept testing
- Individual part form and fit testing
- Durable materials ideal for on demand parts
- Housing consumer electronics
- Medical devices
- Transparent assemblies such as headlamps or bottles
SLA Printing Details
The SLA dimensions are a reference guide. Our team are experienced in splitting designs and seamlessly joining parts together, should you require a build that exceeds the maximum SLA printing dimensions provided.
|Tolerances||+ / - 0.2%|
|Supported Walls||Min. 0.4 mm thick|
|Unsupported Walls||Min. 0.6 mm thick|
|Overhangs||Length < 1.0 mm; Min. 19° level|
0.2 mm assembly connections
0.1 mm snug fits
|Engraving||Min. 0.4 mm wide and 0.4 mm thick|
|Embossed details||Min. 0.1 mm height|
|Holes||Min. 0.5 mm diameter|
- Typically 1-5 days
Please note, our SLA printing machines run throughout the weekend and we offer delivery all over the UK.
If the material you need isn’t listed, we order material in for customers.
Somos® EvoLVe 128
An ABS-like high-strength plastic available in white.
|Tensile Strength||56.8 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||2,964 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||74 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||2,654 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||50 - 52°C|
A transparent material with extraordinary optical clarity.
|Tensile Strength||56 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||2,880 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||84 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||2,490 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||43 - 47°C|
Accura Xtreme Grey
A durable plastic available in grey.
|Tensile Strength||38 - 44 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||1,790 - 1,980 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||52 - 71 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||1,520 - 2,070 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||60°C|
|Elongation Break||14 - 22%|
A moisture resistant plastic available in clear.
|Tensile Strength||41 - 46 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||2,030 - 2,220 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||53 - 67 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||1,560 - 2,040 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||50 - 51°C|
|Elongation Break||4 - 7%|
A general purpose plastic available in white that offers more flexibility than rigid plastics.
|Tensile Strength||38 MPa|
|Tensile Modulus||1,590 - 1,660 MPa|
|Flexural Strength||55 - 58 MPa|
|Flexural Modulus||1,380 - 1,660 MPa|
|Heat Deflection Temp.||51 - 63°C|
|Elongation Break||13 - 20%|
- Post-curing (via UV light)
- Remove support and bead blasting if required. (Please note, scarring with build layers is still visible )
- Grade 01 finishes plus
- Sanding remove build lines
- No specific surface finish
- Grade 01 and Grade 02 finishes plus
- Wet sanding
- Spray painting
- Polished to clear transparent resin or frosted
- Surface finish can be specified as sparked, matt, satin, gloss
SLA Printed Parts
SLA printed parts play a big role in on demand manufacturing.
3D printed parts are an ideal choice, if you require an end-use part due to demand volatility or an unexpected delay in your supply chain.
The benefits of SLA printed parts are:
- High-speed 3D printing
- Part production repeatability
Stereolithography is a highly versatile 3D printing technique that bridges the gap of rapid prototyping and on demand part manufacturing.
Its main benefits include:
- Fine detail and high resolution
- Smoother surface finish compared to FDM
- Fast process
- Wide variety of uses
Ready to build?
SLA prototype costs and SLA printed part costs vary depending on the complexity of the project.
Our experienced team will assess and then provide various price options to best suit your budget and requirements.